1. The Rebirth of Ground Zero- USA
2. This video shares the viewpoint of a retired firefighter, who lost his son on September 11, 2001. It tells the story of how he has been able to cope after ten years since the terrorist attacks on the Twin Towers. The video focuses on the man’s opinions of rebuilding, on honoring, and always remembering. 3. The text book talks about how The United States are a power house in terms of power based on political, economic, and military status. This power is often met with resistance, much like the terrorist attack on September 11, 2001. “Some domestic and foreign special interest groups disagree with U.S. government policy or intervention in events occurring outside borders.” 4. I really enjoyed this video. I believed the man had a very intriguing and motivational outlook on this tragedy that robbed him of his son. I feel that the way he has managed his grievances is something everyone should be admirable of. His message hit home quite a bit for me, as I lost someone very dear to me in a tragic way 11 months ago. It would be very easy to want revenge and to seek out harm to the people involved; but like he said, that will not bring him son back. I think that’s important to remember, our country may have found justice in killing Osama Bin Laden; but thousands of families will never get the satisfaction of having their loved ones return. When that’s the case, the most healing thing you can do is find solace in remembering your lost ones in a light they would appreciate being shown in. I am positive that this man’s son would be so proud of his dad. 5. This video didn’t really portray an issue, but more of the aftermath of one of the biggest issues Americans have faced to date. I think more people need to have the outlook on grieve like this man does. It could benefit them by providing peace and lowering the chances of retaliation. When a country goes through such a tragedy, it’s essential for the wellbeing of the nation to bounce...
...Room 101 is a place introduced in the novel Nineteen Eighty-Four by George Orwell. It is a torture chamber in the Ministry of Love in which the Party attempts to subject a prisoner to his or her own worst nightmare, fear or phobia.
“ You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is the worst thing in the world. ”
Such is the purported omniscience of the state in the society of Nineteen Eighty-Four that even a citizen's nightmares are known to the Party. The nightmare, and therefore the threatened punishment, of the protagonist Winston Smith is to be attacked by rats. Smith saves himself by begging the authorities to let his lover, Julia, have her face gnawed by the ferocious rodents instead. The torture, and what Winston does to escape it, breaks his last promise to himself and to Julia: never to betray her emotionally. The book suggests that Julia is likewise subjected to her own worst fear (although it is not revealed what her worst fear is), and when she and Winston later meet in a park, he notices a scar on her forehead. The original intent of threatening Winston with the rats was not necessarily to go through with the act, but to force him into betraying the only person he loved and therefore break his spirit.
Orwell named Room 101 after a conference room at Broadcasting House where he used to sit...
...Meng, Ling Jun
Essay 1st, Final
7 March 2014
The Developing Concepts of “Family” in the Changing World
When it comes to the word “family”, a general idea about family is that a family is a group of people who are connected to each other like these who are related by blood. Most people will automatically think of the basic kind of family: a family that consists of a father, a mother and children. This is the most common understanding of family; however, actually there are much more definitions of the simple terminology “family” in society. Based on the size, there are two types of family, nuclear family and extended family.
A nuclear family is relatively small, only a husband, a wife and their children if they have children; While an extended family is usually larger than a nuclear family, because all the blood relatives such like grandparents, uncles, cousins are included, sometimes it can be really huge when there are three or more generations in one family.
Narrow definitions of family have something to do with biological relations or legal relations; for instance, father and mother are biologically related to their children, but husband and wife are legally related to each other by getting married.
Broad definitions of family have more possibilities than the narrow ones, a group of close friends stay together for a long time can be called “family” to some degree; or a boyfriend and a girlfriend live in...
...DAV5356 Digital Marketing
Semester 1 | Year 3 | Project Brief
Faculty of Design
BA (Hons) in Advertising
DAV5356 Digital Marketing
Semester 1 | Year 3
DAV5356 Digital Marketing
Semester 1 | Year 3 | Project Brief
“The Internet has been the most fundamental change during my lifetime and for hundreds of
years”– Rupert Murdoch.
Digital Marketing is to provide students with an intensive study about the current practice of
digital marketing in Hong Kong and other major cities like New York and London. It covers the
differences between traditional offline marketing and online digital marketing, the role of digital
marketing in a business, digital marketing strategies, and the tools and evaluation methods for
digital marketing. It specially instils practicality into this theoretical study. Students are required to
study various case studies about the different successful digital marketing campaigns in our
societies. They are also required to develop individual portfolios regarding how they would
market and evaluate a product or service digitally.
On completion of this module, students are expected to be able to:
Evaluate different planning approaches and marketing environmental factors that influence
online marketing activities in the digital era;
Analyze the importance of target marketing and emerging online consumer behavior
Construct a digital marketing plan for an online campaign by...
...Physical = bathroom urges, shaking/anxiety
Emotional = stress, fear, embarrassment, depression, laughter
Cognitive = Confusion of words/mumbling, lack of memory with speech.
Causes of CA + Lack of preparation.
+ Prior negative experience/trauma.
+ Fear of being the center of attention.
+ Concerned about being judged.
+ High stakes.
+ Different than the audience.
+ Degree of unpredictability.
+ Self-fulfilling prophecy.
+ Excessive self focus.
you need to make sure you show great eye contact and enthusiasm.
Generic Speech Structures. +Chronological sequence
+ Spatial sequence
+ Structure-function sequence
+ Topical sequence
Main point labels. • Create interest
• Phrase clearly & carefully
• Use parallel structure (similar language)
• Avoid the word AND.
4 Causes of poor listening. 1. Lack of concentration
2. Listening too hard!
3. Jumping to conclusions/Not listening w/ patience.
4. Too much focus on delivery and personal appearance of the person giving the speech.
Dangers of poor listening. 1. Speaker - loose confidence w/ their audience.
2. Listeners- Don't get the mssg, are rude, ignore you.
3. Communication - is misinterpreted.
4. Event as a whole - goes another way.
How to improve on one's listening skills. 1. Active listening-Mind
2. Decide it's time to listen.
3. Focus your listening.
4. Avoid jumping to conclusions.
5. Looking for common ground.
...Lim, Jean Rya Que
2013 – 72199
ATQ 1 – Qualitative Analysis of Carbohydrates
A. Osazone Formation
Crystals Formed? (hot)
Crystals Formed? (Cold)
B. Molisch Test
Color of Junction
C. Bial’s Test
Yellow -> Dirty Green
Yellow -> Dark Yellow
D. Seliwanoff’s Test
E. Benedict’s Test
light blue -> Orange
light blue -> light olive green
light blue -> yellow brown
light blue -> blue green
light blue -> no change
light blue -> no change
F. Barford’s Test
Amount of Precipitate
Blue Solution, Red Precipitate
G. Hydrolysis of Polysaccharides
Total Drops: 11 (11 mins. )
Color Changes: Dark Violet -> Brown -> Orange -> Yellow
Unhydrolyzed - > Hydrolyzed
Blue -> brown
Blue -> reddish brown
1) Draw the structures of the osazones produced in the experiment.
2) Theoretically, arrange the following sugars according to their reactivity with the Benedict’s Reagent (Glucose, Fructose, Maltose, Sucrose, Starch)
Glucose > Fructose > Maltose > Sucrose > Starch
3) What is the...
M - Th 1:00 p.m. - 2:50 p.m.
January 30, 2015
A Journey Into the Deaf-World
Families with Deaf Children
The chapter talks about Deaf children born into families, either with parents that are Deaf
or hearing. It gives an understanding of what its like to both Deaf and hearing parents in contrast.
Starting with a Deaf baby been born to Deaf parents, most Deaf parents have this incredible
happiness for having to give birth to a Deaf child because a Deaf baby in a Deaf household
signifies that the Deaf heritage of the family will be secure and who are a reflection of
themselves. The extra challenges these Deaf families face have a simple remedy, which is to
give extra nurturing. Sometimes Deaf parents are influenced by the values and instructions of
hearing professional people who see the arrival of a Deaf child a regrettable event, and one that
will require professional intervention. Some parents may adopt the hearing professionals’
perspective, especially since the specialists’ education and status seem to give their views special
credibility. By this, it can be threatening, in some cases the stigma that the Deaf are incapable,
unintelligent or viewed negatively, social workers seek to remove children from Deaf families.
This challenge for the parents comes from well-baby check-ups, when bringing the baby to the
Doctor they arrive enthusiastic, cohesive, and full of positive thoughts about their...
...FASB Codification Research Project #1
(a) Briefly describe how pension gains and losses are accounted for.
According to FASB ASC 715-30-35:
35-21 Gains and Losses
Gains and losses that are not recognized immediately as a
component of net periodic pension cost shall be recognized as
increases or decreases in other comprehensive income as they arise.
Accounting for plan terminations and curtailments and other
circumstances in which recognition of gains and losses as a
component of net periodic pension cost might not be delayed is
addressed in the Settlements, Curtailments, and Terminations
Subsection of this Section.
(b) Explain the rationale behind the accounting method described in
According to FASB ASC 715-30-35
35-22 Gains and Losses
Asset gains and losses are differences between the actual return on
plan assets during a period and the expected return on plan assets
for that period. Asset gains and losses include both changes reflected
in the market-related value of plan assets and changes not yet
reflected in the market-related value (that is, the difference between
the fair value of assets and the market-related value). Gains or losses
on transferable securities issued by the employer and included in
plan assets are also included in asset gains and losses. Asset gains
and losses not yet reflected in market-related value are not required
to be amortized under paragraphs 715-30-35-24 through 35-25.
35-23 Gains and...
September 14th 2011
Barrack Obama’s Quest for Identity
What exactly defines ones identity? According to Merriam Webster, identity is defined as the distinguishing character or personality of an individual. One’s quest for true identity can be quite the struggle as it was for Barrack Obama in the story, Dreams from My Father. Throughout Obama’s journey, he was faced with many factors but still fought to discover his individual identity. Among the many factors Obama was faced with, the communities he was raised had a significant impact on his perceptions of the world. Next, Obama struggles with moral responsibilities throughout the story to himself and to the community as a whole. Finally, Obama was faced with multiple conflicts between himself and the communities’ interest. All though Obama discovered much about himself throughout Dreams from My Father, his quest for identity was never truly found.
Identity is something that pretty much every human being struggles with at one time in their life. It doesn’t have to be as blank as black or white because identity depicts what one’s life is comprised of. Identity shows off who you truly are, it shows a deeper side of who you feel like you are. Obama formed quite the unique identity, and questioned it throughout his life, probably still at this time now too. Being born half and half black in a time of racial tension creates quite a unique situation for Obama growing up....